Balmoral Chicken with Stag's Breath Whisky Sauce
The classic and delicious Balmoral Chicken. Choose quality free-range chicken breasts and try to use your local butcher for your haggis. Serve with a wee dram.
- For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- At least 130g Haggis (we like D Gilmour the Butcher's)
- 8 rashers dry cure streaky bacon
- 30ml sunflower oil
- 20g butter
- 60g salted butter
- 1 finely diced shallot
- 100ml Stag’s Breath Honey Whisky Liqueur
- 100ml beef stock
- 60ml double cream
- Sea Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice down the side of each chicken breast and make a pocket
- Crumble the haggis into a bowl, and stuff generously into the pocket.
- Wrap each breast with 1 – 2 rashers of bacon, securing with a toothpick if needed.
- Heat the oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan and sear the bacon wrapped around the chicken breasts until nicely golden – do this for approx. 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish and bake for up to 40 minutes (or until cooked through & piping hot.)
- Serve with the peppercorn sauce, your favourite vegetables and creamy mashed potato.
Stag's Breath Whisky Sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add shallots, sauté for 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the Honey Whisky Liqueur and boil for 3 minutes, which reduces the alcohol
- Add the beef stock and boil for another 3 minutes before finally adding the cream.
- Reduce the heat to medium, heat through gently, but don’t boil.
- Once the sauce is at thick as you’d like, test for seasoning, and Blackthorn Sea Salt if needed.