Stag's Breath Venison Fillet
- 2kg Saddle of venison
- Ask your game supplier to remove the fillets from the bone, and have the bones broke up so to make a deeply flavoured sauce.
- 600 ml quality beef stock
- 50g butter + extra to finish
- Bouquet garni, bay leaf, sea salt, cracked black pepper
- 1 glass Stag’s Breath
- Lift the Venison fillets from the bone and marinade in enough Stag’s Breath to generously cover, and a good grind of black pepper, ideally overnight.
- Take your broken up bones and brown them in butter, in a deep casserole dish.
- Pour in the rest of the Stag’s Breath Liqueur, the beef stock, and the herbs, then simmer gently for one hour.
- After an hour, strain the stock well and return to the pan on a gentle simmer.
- Brown your Venison fillets (divided into several lengths if necessary), in butter over a high flame, and immediately transfer them to poach them the gently simmering stock for 10 minutes.
- Drain the fillets, slice them on the bias and serve with the sauce enriched with a little butter, creamy mashed potatoes and sautéed savoy cabbage.