Stag's Breath Poached Pears
Create a variety of moreish desserts using this simple recipe - from Poached Pear Pavlova, Pear Frangipane Tart, or served simply with cream as they are, this is a must try.
- 6 pears, peeled, (and trimmed so they can "stand")
- About 500ml of water
- 150ml Stag's Breath Liqueur
- 1 1/2 sticks cinnamon
- 3-4 Tbs quality honey
- 2 extra Tbs honey or sugar
- Cream to pour over the top
- If you are able to stand the pears up in the pot they'll be cooking in. If the pears need laying down in order to fit, they don't need trimmed.
- Combine the water, Stag's Breath Whisky Liqueur, cinnamon and honey in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the pears and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the pears are soft enough for a fork to go in easily.
- Remove the pears and set aside to cool slightly.
- If using the large amount of liquid, spoon out about 3 ladle-fulls of the liquid into a smaller pot, add another 2 Tbs of honey/sugar and set to a vigorous boil. Keep boiling until the liquid is reduced and it turns syrup-y (15-20 minutes).
- Serve with the syrup and a touch of cream poured over the pears.
- For an extra touch of decadence, try adding a rich chocolate sauce when serving.